Wednesday, May 7, 2014

I am a Half Marathoner

10 days ago on Sunday, April 27th, 2014 - I became a half marathoner.

I wasn't nervous, I wasn't excited. I just wanted it to be over with. I felt like I had done all of the training I could do and I was just ready to run my last double digit run ever.

I ran the Iron Girl Half Marathon in Columbia, MD. I chose it because it was an all female race and it wasn't far from my house. It was the same day as the Nike Women's Half Marathon in DC and from the pictures I've seen - there were a TON of people at that one.







My goal was to finish in less than 3 hours. I totally outdid myself and finished in 2:40!

It was tougher than I had expected or trained for. There were quite a few hills. REALLY bad hills. I did almost all of my training on pretty flat surfaces. I would have definitely done that differently if I would have known.

The race started an hour late which frustrated me. My toes were starting to freeze and there wasn't good communication to the runners about what was actually going on with the delay. We were already in our corral and were just stuck there waiting for about 40 minutes before they told us we could leave and come back in about 15 minutes. 

Me and a bunch of other ladies took the opportunity to go to the hotel across the parking lot and use the restroom rather than porta pottys.

It was my first race with pacers. I lined up with the 10:30 group and was hanging strong with them until this killer hill at mile 5 had even the 11:00 pacers passing me as I walked the last 3/4 up the hill.

I was determined to never let the 11:30 pacers pass me though!

Post race hubby and I went to Wegman's. I loaded up on every single thing that looked good to me - calories didn't even factor into my thinking for the day.  



The following day was a Monday. Unfortunately I did not take the day off. Stairs were quite the challenge. I had to utilize the escalator. Normally after a long run my knees would hurt. This time it was my quads that ached - I think from all of the hills. 


When I got to work one of co-worker friends had bought me a bouquet of flowers to congratulate me on my race and to tell me I was her hero.


1 comment: