Thursday, January 15, 2015

Riding the DC Metro

THIS terrifies me. 

On Monday a Metro train suddenly stopped, went dark and then filled with smoke while it was underground with passengers aboard. One woman died and more than 80 other people were taken to the hospital for treatment.

I ride the DC metro system twice a day every day that I go to work. I cannot imagine being trapped on a smoke filled train car for almost an hour. That had to have been one of the worst things those passengers could experience - stuck underground, unable to breathe and not knowing when help was actually going to arrive.

It's easy for so many people not in the situation to question why the passengers didn't force the doors open to escape. I've heard various responses to that - one is that it is illegal to disboard a train unless you are instructed to. Another response had to do with the risk of electrocution by walking on the wrong track.

I don't know exactly what I would have done if I would have been in that exact situation but it does make me think to myself more often about "worse case scenarios" and what my reaction to certain situations would be. 

It's hard enough working in DC just a block away from the White House not to worry about all the crazy people out there looking to do harm to the President or to the White House.  But now I also have to worry about what could happen on my way IN to work.

It really makes me want to stop on the way home and buy a winning lottery ticket so I can just "retire" and escape to a beach somewhere. 


1 comment: